Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A Yard Full Of Shade

I have been enjoying some time at home at my parent's house during my last free days until classes start. My parents live in the suburbs of Philadelphia in a small twin house with hardly any yard. Years back my dad decided to get rid of any grass on the property and create a small brick patio with  surrounding flower boxes in the front yard. In the back there is a two tier patio; one for the grill and one for the furniture again surrounded with garden spaces. The entire property is completely in shade since the backyard is covered by a large weeping cherry tree and the front by two dogwoods;  even our tiered  hillside that leads down to the road from our front steps is in shade.
I decided to go around this evening and take some pictures of the different flowers and ferns that my dad has planted around the house. Another time I'll take pictures during the day and hopefully come spring be able to show everyone the beautiful blooming trees. Hope you enjoy some pictures from home!
Front yard.
I t has been raining the past two days so all of the flowers from the porch were brought out to get some water.
Butterfly Sculpture
 I love garden art. This cute butterfly sculpture was bought down in South Carolina and adds a little touch of whimsy against the white fence and dark green bush.


Front steps
My dad built these front steps that lead from the house down to the road. Along both sides there are planter boxes to hold colorful flowers and lights.
Begonias
Rows of pink and red begonias are planted along the planters of the front steps. These are perennials that my dad includes in his flower gardens every year. 


Impatiens hawkeri  and hosta
 The front hill is tiered and is planted with lots of colorful new guinea impatiens which are one of the most common shade flowers. A large hosta anchors the corner of the box; in the spring it shows of purple flowers among the lush green leaves.


 Another display of new guinea impatiens, this time in the backyard.
Coleus Defiance
 I love the contrast seen is this shade loving plant with the vibrant green and deep rich burgundy; it really gives the backyard a nice pop of color.



Hosta
Another contrast in colors seen with this hosta show casing a variety of greens.

Do you have an overly shady yard? What sort of plants do you use to help bring in some color?


No comments:

Post a Comment