Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Plethora of Tomatoes

Last night I went over to my sister's house for a yummy, authentic Mexican dinner. Before we started cooking we went outside to collect some tomatoes from the garden in their small yard. Walking from the back door off the kitchen there is a small porch that looks down to the backyard where a sea of tomatoes are growing. My sister and her husband are growing every type of tomato you can imagine; plum, grape, cherry and beefsteak. My niece had lots of fun helping us pick the ripe tomatoes, even at three she can tell a good one from a bad one. Needless to say we got more than enough tomatoes for dinner along with some jalapenos and a zucchini! Next year they say they are going to grow some other types of vegetables and reduce their number of tomato plants due to the over abundance.
Here are some pictures I took while we picked some tomatoes!

The view from the back porch showing the tomato and zucchini plants.

Some orange marigolds show add some color to the green plants.

Grape tomatoes ready to be picked!

My brother in law showing my niece the zucchini that was ready.

Lots of basil. When it goes to seed it has a great vertical height.

More tomatoes!

Some jalapeno peppers!

My niece with all of the tomatoes that we picked.

What sort of veggies (I know tomatoes are a fruit) do you grow in your home garden?

No comments:

Post a Comment