Sunday, March 11, 2012

Terrariums and Tulips

 I had the pleasure this week to visit the 2012 Philadelphia Flower Show where the theme was Hawaii! Large landscapes and installations featured native flora such as birds of paradise, palm trees and of course orchids. I spent hours walking through the convention center with my mom looking at all of the displays and some of vendors, taking close to 400 pictures. I'll have more than enough topics to share over the next month.

Some of the first things that I saw when walking into the convention center hall were the small individual plants and terrariums. Terrariums are probably one of my favorite forms of displaying plants and flowers and I was not disappointed by the entries at the flower show. I think that not only do you have to a well maintained and thriving plant but an interesting container in which to display it.The terrariums were grouped on the size of the containers and number of plants each housed. I tend to prefer larger structures with multiple plants.
Here are some pictures of some my favorites; I couldn't get the best angle on some of them because of the large crowd.
The group of large containers with multiple plants.


I really like the uniqueness of this terrarium.


Such an interesting container!




Smaller container with a single flower variety.


Right next to the terrariums were rows of brightly colored pots of tulips. Nothing says spring is here more than a beautiful bunch of tulips, unless of course it is the daffodils right beside them. However, I must admit to preferring the arrays of colorful tulips and thus took numerous pictures as opposed to only one daffodil shot.
Enjoy!
Some of the beautiful tulip entries.
Tulipa Acuminata

Tulipa 'Pinocchio'

Tulipa 'Tom Pouce'

Tulipa 'Foxtrot': Blue Ribbon Winner

Narcissus 'Accent': My lone daffodil picture. I like the unique coloring.

No comments:

Post a Comment