Friday, December 2, 2011

Floating Christmas Tree

Today I went to the 2011 Christmas Flower Show at Phipps Conservatory. I plan on going back again at night so that I can see the effect all of the lights have on the trees and flowers.
Normally when I blog about Phipps I start with the Palm Court and then progress around the conservatory in the order that I saw it. Instead I am going to blog about the rooms in random order starting with the Victoria room because it is so spectacular. 
The distinguishing thing about the Victoria room is the shallow pool of water that takes up the center of the room. During Christmas time they always have a large, I think about 25 foot, Christmas tree in the center of the room. This year the theme of the exhibit was the Nutcracker and the Victoria room represented the endless ocean; when the Nutcracker and Clara (sometimes called Marie) sail away in a walnut shell. The tree is decorated in blue, white and silver and takes your breath away when you walk through the door. I also loved looking at the reflection of the tree and lights in the dark colored pool. I strongly suggest that if you only go to Phipps once a year that this would be the show to see.

The 25 foot tree


Close up of some ornaments

Ribbon bow on top

Reflection of the tree


Garlands made from small plants that hung from the tree to the railing


Phipps Conservatory

No comments:

Post a Comment