Tuesday, October 18, 2011

A Weed or Not A Weed...

A weed or not a weed, that is the question. Corny I know but i couldn't help thinking it when I saw these beautiful flowers inter-tangled with my neighbor's bushes. A few houses done on my block there is a row bushes that I pass everyday on my way to the bus stop. Earlier this month I noticed that among the small green leaves large pink and purple flowers were blooming. I paused and tried to discover if the flowers were a natural part of the bush or the fruit of a viscous vine that had begun to take over. Not all of the bushes sported these flowers so I thought that they must belong to a weedy vine that had taken root along with the bush. But then I stopped to think; does it really matter if these flowers are supposed to be here or not? The bushes are beautiful with the large flowers weaving between the branches; adding color to a somewhat drab sidewalk. So I did a little research (google is my best resource!) and learned that these flowers are in fact a hibiscus and they do grow on bushes. Normally I have only seen hibiscus on trees which is why I didn't immediately think that they belonged. I am glad to learn that they are supposed to be there and am that my neighbors decided to add the bushes for everyone who walks pass to enjoy. Now that the weather is turning colder the flowers have begun to disappear but I am excited to see if them return come spring.
On the way to the bus stop.

Close up of a purple hibiscus

Pink hibiscus



What flowering finds have you discovered in your neighborhood?

No comments:

Post a Comment