Sunday, July 8, 2012

Garfield Farms



 Living in my apartment I am unable to have my own garden, so when I heard about the opportunity to help with a local community garden I jumped at the chance. For the past month my church has been advertising about a work day at Garfield Community Farm which I attended yesterday. Garfield Community Farm along with Open Hands Ministry focus on serving the community and sharing God's love through the farm. What was once a block of abandoned lots is now a farm from which the produce is sold to the community at a weekly farmers market.

Lots of tomatoes under here


For most of morning I worked in the cauliflower and broccoli beds; taking down finished pee plants and pulling up weeds. Since the weather was dangerously hot we only worked until 12 and had to take lots of water breaks, but we were able to get a lot accomplished.  
The beds all cleaned up!

Along with fruits and vegetables the garden also has some bunnies that one of members in raising. Everyone enjoyed being able to visit the bunnies (who are housed in a shady part of the garden) and I even got to hold one!
This little guy was the runt of the litter but he sure was jumpy!

Little white bunny:)


Work days happen the first Saturday of every month and every Thursday evening, which I will definitely be participating with in the future. Don't worry if you don't know anyone else going, I didn't and I still had lots of fun meeting new people and working among God's creation.

Click here for more information about Garfield Farm.
Click here for more information about Open Hand Ministries


No comments:

Post a Comment