Friday, September 9, 2011

A Firecracker and a Gold Digger

Sometimes when I see the common name of a plant or flower I just start laughing. I first saw the Russelia equisetiformis in the Butterfly room at Phipps Conservatory where I was drawn to the cascading arms covered in small red bell shaped flowers. When I read the common name of firecracker plant I thought it was appropriate since it gave a burst of color against the green plants surrounding it. They are commonly used to cover walls such is the case at Phipps and attract butterflies and bees with the brightly colored flowers.
Firecracker Plant

Some describe the flowers as vases but I think of them as bells

To show the size of the flowers compared to my fingers
The Gold Digger is the common name for the yellow Laeliocattleya; I had to stifle a giggle the first time I read that name. The Gold Digger is an orchid that is a genetic bred of the laelia and catattleya and is characterized by yellow petals with reddish pink on the inside. Not sure if this is what I would have called this flower but it does make you smile when you see it.


Click here for more information about Phipps Conservatory

2 comments:

  1. I always wonder who gets to come up with these common names and when and how it happens. Maybe one day I'll get to come up with one and it will be even cooler than the Gold Digger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh that would be interesting,next time you are wandering around the jungle and find a new looking flower you can take a picture and make something up:)

    ReplyDelete